Sunday 18 June 2017

The 'sparkly eye' thing

I have always said to myself that if I could just change one person's life for the better then everything I'm doing and have done will be worth it.

What I've failed to realise is that I've achieved that already in the most spectacular way.

I have changed one life- it's my own.

Hopefully I've influenced a few others along the way and if I haven't done that yet, I haven't stopped trying. My journey is far from finished.

I got to talk with my seven year old nephew today who has recently started karate and was showing me his new karate 'moves'. When he found out that his 'Auntie B' is a black belt he looked at me like I'm something I most definitely am not, he gave me the look that I give to the sensei here who inspire me and make me want to me just like them. I know that look because I am surrounded by people I admire here and I find myself doing it often.

While being here and spending my time with sensei and senpai of such a high level I haven't been able to really appreciate the progress I have made since i came here.
I got a slight glimpse of that tonight when I was talking with Jay. Along with everything else that flashed through my mind, from my first few days here, to all the experiences in between, the good, the bad and just about everything else- I've just become his 'cool Auntie B' but as karate always does, i'll go back to the dojo tomorrow where the sensei and senpai are and realise how much more I still have to do.

I'll never be anything more than a beginner, there's just too much to learn - and I'm realising that that's really cool because it means I'll just keep growing.
Maybe one day, I'll wake up and find myself wondering where all the years and the time went but also realise what an incredible life decision I made because besides absolutely loving it, more lives have changed me than I realised and maybe, just maybe I touched more lives than I imagined possible.

The bigger reason I was talking with family today is because we are welcoming baby Sophie into our tribe, big brother Dave became dad yesterday and I couldn't be happier for him. I'm 5000 miles away on the other side of the world and I'm in love with her already.

Maybe one day she will look at me the way Jay looked at me today, maybe not but either way I hope that in your life you find the thing that gives you your sparkly eyes too.
I hope you find the thing that you will travel around the world for, and when you do, I'll be right there supporting you because I know how worthwhile it is to persue something that you love.
The sparkly eyes are so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment