Saturday 27 April 2019

It all started with chocolate...

I was working in the bar, as i usually do when these really bouncy, happy looking Belgians rocked in looking for James.
They wanted to give him Belgian beer. I said if they came from Belgium they should have bought us chocolate. 
The next day, they came back with a big box of Belgian chocolate eggs.
And that was it. 
The start of a whole new adventure and new friends. 
There is Pie-man Pieter, Olivier, Marian, Koen and Sofie. They are one of those dojo groups that are way more than just training partners. They are clearly a Dojo family. 
They attended Hubert Lanen and Yagi Sensei's seminar at the Asato Dojo on Saturday and also took part in Yoshida Sensei's Seminars on the Sunday so we all had the opportunity to train and learn together. 
Then on the Thursday they were making a trip to Tokashiki Island and invited me along. I'm not sure whether they actually meant it or just said it to be kind, but that was it. I wanted to go. 
So i did. I went with them, overcoming a few obstacles to make it to one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been to. First was getting out of bed and to the port on time. The 3am finishes mean I've been sleeping through all the alarms. Then the boat ride- all the wobbling makes me feel pretty sick.
We went exploring through big rocks and caves and then up to the viewpoint which was stunning. 
Then we made a rock village where everyone's imagination came into play.
Then the snorkelling- even though its a super touristy beach, they've done a pretty good job of keeping the fish and coral there.
I bet there used to be much much more but there was still plenty to explore.
We Found the real Nemo and not the aggressive imitation ones that like to swim at you all angry so it was most definately a success.
Pieter and I made a good team to end up getting such beautiful pictures and videos of the underwater life.
It is literally like going to another planet and is so peaceful and relaxing.
Everyone got sunburned somewhere, no matter how much or what brand of sun cream that was put on. For me, it was my legs which meant i didn't do the race the following Sunday because i couldn't put shoes on yet.
But it was so worth it.
We managed to get a final picture of all the DB staff together (with my flamingo) before half of the group leaves to continue with their own adventures in life. 
My goal for summer is to cross another three islands off my list because just as all the others are showing me, you have no idea where life is gonna take you or where you will end up so you must take the opportunities while you can.
This is why i'm so grateful to Pieter and his crew for giving me the opportunity to realise there is so much more to still explore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment