Monday 9 March 2020

Ryusen Textile Workshop (100 Kobudo Kata Challenge)

This was actually the first stop on my list of places to visit.


I chose this one because I was hoping to buy a new purse because the zip on mine broke recently. It was also the farthest away from the monorail station and so I decided to start at the farthest away and work my way back.


Having now been to them all, I would recommend a different order, and for sure a whole day as opposed to just the afternoon:

1- The first stop would be Zuisen Awamori Distillery first because it doesn't take too much time.

2- I would recommend Ryusen Textiles second- but make sure that if you plan to take part in the coral dying experience or the bingata making experience then you allow yourself a couple of hours for that and looking around the shop, so that you aren't too rushed.

3- I would then go to Ryukyu Sabo Ashibiuna restaurant for lunch- it is open between midday and 3pm and then has a break before opening for the evening.

4- After lunch a walk around the park, castle and the backstreets of shuri is a good option.

5- Followed by an afternoon stop at Eichin sweets shop for a drink of shiquasa soda and a snack.

6- Then you can finish the day at the Wolfbrau brewery sampling beer and drinking coffee.

Back to the Textile shop, I had been to the shop before but never actually went inside. 


Once I had gone inside I was greeted by very welcoming and friendly staff. 
They explained to me that the first floor is things you can buy. 

There is beautiful displays of table cloths, scarves, coin purses, little bags and plates, fabric, door curtains and artwork. 

They are quite expensive but for the quality of the item and that each one is uniquely handmade I think that it is worth the price. 

The second floor is the experience area. You take your shoes off and go up the stairs. Here you can try coral dying and bingata.


The whole building encapsulates history and art but the third floor is where they have a little museum type part where it teaches you a bit more about the history of the fabrics, shuri and how Ryusen came to be.


I thought the design of the rolls of fabric weaving through the beams of the ceiling was beautiful. 


They had old pictures of Shuri Castle and Shuri Town. 


The pictures don't do it justice, but these fabrics are truly a masterpiece. 

I didn't intend to become quite so immersed in the place but there I was and I didn't want to regret not taking opportunities, so I decided I would give the coral dying a try.

The staff were incredibly friendly and some can speak English if you need help. 

For the coral dying, first you chose what you will dye. The options are a tshirt, cloth, tote bag or a furoshiki (wrapping cloth).

I chose the furoshiki, because its always good to wrap your bento up with. 

So, you sit down and the staff give you a overview on how to do the dying, how to mix the colours etc.
Then they let you go ahead and create your masterpiece. 


Thinking back now, I should have made a plan for how I'd have liked it to look and then started and not just gone all freestyle. My advice for you is to have some sort of idea what you would like and which colours- or you might just end up with a mess.
There is inspiration over all the walls for you to draw from if you like. 

You take a coral and wrap your fabric around it, secure it with a band and pull tight.

Then you decide which colours you will do it and go ahead and paint it on. 

There are corals of all sizes, shapes and designs so it's completely up to you what you will make and it will for sure be unique. 


For a first time, the experience is a lot more valuable to me than the furoshiki. I would like to go back and do another one with a bit more thought given to the design.  This is not something I can create well spontaneously! 

So, overall I think this is a brilliant addition to the list of places to visit. I had a really wonderful few hours. It doesn't matter if you go alone or with a whole group of friends. 
The staff are amazing, the building is stunning and for sure you will come away a little more enriched in some way. 
I really reccomend this one. 


Address: 1-54 Shuriyamagawa-cho, 
Naha-shi, Okinawa

Website: www.shuri-ryusen.com/en

Hours: 9am to 6pm

No comments:

Post a Comment