Sunday 22 February 2015

Karate Masters Portraits Project

So as some of you know, recently my own project has begun with Chris and James' book. I've made it my mission to get as many of the Sensei to sign it as possible. 
At the beginning of the month, James went to London so I had to find something karate related to amuse myself with while I'm by myself. 
So this is the book- it's quite expensive but it's fantastic quality and the pictures are incredible, these guys are my inspiration and my heroes. I think this book will become a piece of invaluable karate history one day. 
So far I have asked each Sensei to sign the book and give me some life advice. 
Below are the signatures I have so far: 
Number 1- Taira Sensei. He is the WMKA world president and is 10th dan. He is the head of Matsubayashi Ryu karate (the style I study) this makes him one I simply had to get asap! Sensei's favourite kata is Chinto and it is amazing, it is incredibly powerful and precise and 'when I grow up I want to be just like him'!! 
Number 2- Arakaki Sensei: this is my Sensei in Okinawa. He has taken me under his wing and welcomed me into his dojo. Sensei is incredible- he has done more for me than I could ever explain, he has treated me like family since I arrived in okinawa and has given me memories I will treasure for a lifetime.  I will be forever in his debt- I am training hard, consistently and learning all I can from him. To be able to train with the best in the world is a chance not many people get. I get more than to just be able to train with him, I get to be a part of his karate family and I couldn't wish for anything better. 
Sensei advised- 'work hard, play hard and always be one step ahead' 
Number 3- Goju Ryu Taira Sensei: I met Taira Sensei in the Dojo bar. He has the most incredible Makiwara hands I've ever seen. 
Sensei advised: 'if the attack is strong -defend softly, if the attack is soft- defend strongly'. 
Number 4- Goju Ryu Yogi Sensei: this guy is SO funny. He came into the bar and made me laugh a LOT. 
Sensei advised: 'strongly and decisively know which path you want to take and then do it and stick to it'. 
Number 5- Hokama Sensei: I love this sensei, he has the coolest (and only) karate museum. Sensei speaks good english and I can just pop in and see him whenever I'm about the shuri area, he always has green tea in a pot somewhere!  Sensei saw my Tattoo and insisted on giving me my own advice- 'kesshite akiramenai- never give up' 
Number 6- Gaja Sensei. James and I went to visit Gaja Sensei together. He had some really really cool hojo undo equipment and gave us a whole bunch of rope so we can wrap our tree up as a makiwara. 
Number 7- Akamine Sensei: he is SO nice. He signed my book with a really cool brush pen! Sensei advised: 'Fudoshin' it means to have a im moveable/ unbreakable heart and mind. 
Number 8- Yogi Sensei: so this sensei is amazing at kobudo. He is SO kind too! 
I got roped into a 3 hour kobudo lesson when he signed my book. It was fun. 
Sensei advised: 'always have good heartfelt intentions'. 
Number 9- Kyuna Sensei: the next few Sensei I didn't manage to get advice from yet because I couldn't explain it in japanese!! But I got their signatures by gate crashing a advanced training camp at the budokan. 
Number 10- Uezato Sensei. 
Number 11- Sakugawa Sensei. 
Number 12- Ikemiyagi Sensei. 
Number 13- Nakamoto Sensei. For this signature and the next one (Sensei's son) I visited Sensei's kobudo museum in Shuri. I got my book signed and got a private tour of his kobudo museum and dojo. It was amazing and definately a signature I'll remember getting. 
Number 14- Nakamoto Mamoru Sensei. 

So far this has been a incredible experience- I will remember every single signature and the story behind each one. This book is fast becoming priceless. 
I am learning the Okinawan culture of kindness as well as learning some very valuable life lessons on the way. 
Just another 42 signatures to go! (There is 56 of the 58 Sensei available to sign the book)
This book could be the making of my own book. 
Taira Sensei, Arakaki Sensei and Makishi sensei invited me for coffee. 
Hokama Sensei gave me my own advice- smart guy!! 
Yogi Sensei insisted I take part in his 3 hour kobudo session!
Akamine Sensei has a BEAUTIFUL dojo. 
I got a private tour of the kobudo museum! Learned a lot!! 
This is the coolness of living right by the budokan. 
I love how all the Sensei admire how handsome they are!! They're all really cool guys!! (And incredible karateka/ kobudoka. I SO wanna be just like them. 
We did some serious karate master poses at the bar. Given a couple of years I might have the look down!! :D 
Let the quest continue!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment