Saturday 16 September 2017

My Senpai's and Me.

In the last few months we've decided that once a month we will hang out and do something new together outside of the dojo.
First was bowling, then batting practice and today was park golf.
I've never done it before so thought it would be a lot of fun. It's also good for us all to swap languages and practice communicating together.
Today had a eventful start when we were driving to the park golf near the dojo we saw a bike drive into the back of a car. Naturally we stopped to help, No one was seriously hurt but we ended up seeing how all the emergency services work in Okinawa. The Police, Fire and Ambulance came and as a precaution the bike guy went to the hospital. We had to wait for about 45 minutes before we could get out of the situation because of all the new added police cars etc.
So we finally made it up to the castle site where we were going to play golf. It was incredibly windy and dare i say it- even a bit chilly! (considering the recent Okinawan summer!)


So we get the 'golf clubs' - i've not seen a golf club like it before- this isn't 'crazy golf', and it's not 'real golf' so i guess some hybrid in the middle! Toshimune, Connor and I are a team and the two senpai's and Satoko are another team.


Obviously, I end up losing, like dead last- as i have with most of the sports we've gone to try together so far, but i had a lot of fun. I think we all did, it even got pretty competitive at times!

Then we go back to Toshimune's house where we made Takoyaki without the Tako.

It was really good. We also had Yakitori, Salad and Steak.

Good food with good friends and good fun. Something different to the usual routine and being able to relax with no expectations is just what i needed (until the pull ups and push ups and weight practice started!).
I always come away from spending time with them feeling so happy and loved just for being myself.

They like and accept me just the way that i am. It seems like it's rare to find friends like that nowadays.

I think it's just as important in the dojo to have good senpai as it is to have a good sensei.
I've got some pretty cool ones that are so much more than just dojo senpai. I'm learning a lot from them, more than just karate.
I'm a part of something really special with some really incredible people #mykaratefamily.

No comments:

Post a Comment