Thursday 30 November 2017

He is human and so am i

'He is human and so am I' 

The phrase comes from Nagamine Sensei.

While in Taiwan and doing awesome things, like climbing mountains and Mantis Kung Fu, I noticed this time culture and life differences.
Maybe it's because we were free to explore and communicate on our own this time, or maybe I've just begun to open my eyes to the world around me. 

It opened my mind too. 


We all live such different lives, England is vastly different to Okinawa which is different to Taiwan. 

I'm comparing these three places because these are the countries in which i have been given the opportunity to either live in or visit multiple times. 
Ironically, it seems the most 'underdeveloped' place is the one that appealed to me the most-  i think there is beauty in a simple way of life. 


It goes back to yesterday's horse head lesson. 

The people in Taiwan and even parts of Okinawa are living a pretty self sufficient lifestyle- eating food that comes from their land and building their houses out of the materials they have around them.

Outside the cities there is less technology- more simplicity.


I guess this can be seen as a positive and a negative. Of course there are positives to the developments we have made in the world- less disease, longer life expectancy, better quality of life etc.

The thing i'm getting at is that the people of Taiwan (particularly in the rural areas) seem happy and to be living a good life even without a lot of the technological developments that we see in places like London or Tokyo. 

Just like everything,
you can see your glass as half full or half empty. 
I'm feeling incredibly lucky that i get to see and experience all these different places and cultures and people. 

It helps me to see, what i have is all i need. 

My way of life can be what makes me happy and suits me- i'm creating my own culture while trying to experience as many others as possible. 
Then, just as with karate, i can choose what works for me and create something practical and perfect for myself. 

Experience is far more valuable than things and i get to see and experience this incredible planet that we live. 
If you have to choose between material items or a trip to a new place with new people and new challenges, i highly recommend the latter. 

We're all human and we should all look out for each other, this was made especially clear in the mountain race that we did. I think that's why it was my favourite race- it had a air of safety to it, because you know somebody's got your back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment