Saturday 7 December 2019

The Stars Are Always There - Even When You Can't See Them

Does time just speed up the older you get?
Seriously feels like the years are just flying by. I'm sure its gone- One, Two, Five.

With time going so fast we need to adventure more. Whenever Martin comes, there is no doubt there will be a couple of new experiences and places and of course lots of repeat locations but new experiences because we are always changing and always have new stuff to catch up on and new eyes to see it through. Nothing stays the same in oki for long. 
On the first Night when they came to the bar, they were very very jetlagged and tired - add beer and habu shots to that and we had quite the situation. 
The next morning - the weather was horrific and I had my Japanese Kanji test to take in the morning. I was nervous but practiced a lot. This test will decide if I achieve my goal of 8th Kyu by the end of the year. 
Once i had done it Martin met me and we all went to eat Ramen at the place near Rambo Sensei's house. It was good, and was worth the wait. 
The next couple of days were a bit of a blur with the amount of training and all the places that they were visiting. I jumped in where i could, and worked where i had to. 
After one of the morning sessions with Arakaki sensei we went for soba with him and then he dropped us at the entrance of Shikina gardens and sent us in. 
All because Martin has been so many times but has never been to the Gardens before. 
I think it was actually good fun. The flowers there were beautiful and we got there when there was basically nobody else in there. 

Just as we were leaving a bus of people showed up! 
This is the part where Martin is trying to persuade me to do something stupid off the bridge which would lead to me most likely falling into the water. 
I wasn't going to fall for that...


But then, he said the same thing to Joel, and of course- he did it. 

There are a LOT of selfies from the week with Joel's big head in them. 
Although a little annoying, he did bring a certain energy to each day with his excitement at everything. 


The next trip was with Guido and Michael to the peace park. I actually think that Shikina gardens was after the first peace park visit but this is what happens when i leave it so long before writing it- but now is better than forgetting it all together. Better late than never. 


The Peace park is still and has been one of my favourite places in Okinawa for a long time. We went for a good walk around it and although really quite limited on time because I had to be back to teach the kids we still had a fun hour or so. 

This picture is from the Friday night after the 100 kata event where we all went to the Tome dojo to train together. It was very sweaty, but really wonderful to see that there is consistency and some subtle individual differences throughout the Matsubayashi Ryu Dojo. It 100% brought out my sparkly eyes. 


On Martin's last day we went to the Chinese Gardens where we fed the fish and went across waterfall rocks. it reminded me a lot of my first trip here. Its nice to be brought back to the beginners mind in other ways- not just karate. This trip to the peace park and hanging out with Joel and Martin for the week totally brought back so so many memories of my first trip here. 

We also went back to the Peace Park to find the giant Buddha because when we went the other day it was being used for a school trip event and so we couldn't go into it. I had to see it before Martin left, and with him because they were the ones which taught me all about it. 


I've been to the peace park more than ten times and had never been in the building with the giant Buddha in it. It just goes to show how vast that park is. Every single time i go- i see something i didn't ever see before. Which is really nice. I wonder how much more there is to discover there.
As always the cornerstone of peace is the obvious attraction simply for its beauty and atmosphere but now i know there is many many more buildings and monuments and beaches and parts to see. 


Here i was explaining to Martin the 1000 Paper cranes grants one wish story. 
This time that Martin was here also marked my five year in Okinawa Anniversary. 
It made me quite emotional to think how long it's been, how far I've come, how far I've still have to go. 
What an incredible chance I've had to come here, its literally been my highest highs and lowest lows, this island and all that has happened here  has changed me in so many ways. Mostly good, I think. 
I don't know how long I'll be here for or what my future will be, but I'll take it as it comes and always do what I feel is right. 
There are so many people that have become more than friends to me on this little island and from all around the world, they treat me like family and make me feel loved. Really that's all that anyone needs. 
On my five year anniversary here I was surprise by Martin with the cutest fluffiest bear (Named Trevor) with a little plaque, then we went to karate to train together. After that we went North to Nago area where we took some gorgeous pictures on the beach - for my book I hope to write one day. We went to eat burgers together and then stopped at Kyan Chotoku Sensei's memorial and walked along the Hija River to where the Yara Castle ruins are. Then we were late back to Sensei's BBQ which sent Martin slightly crazy. Once everyone had eaten and drunk and the cake had quite literally disappeared, Guido took over the driving and we went to find the stars. We drove as far south as we could to as dark a place as we could find. Which was apparently not really dark enough. We saw a few stars but definately not the milky way, however - we must remember that even when you can't see them, the stars are always always there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment