Friday 18 March 2016

Paul ❤️

Recently my England dojo family has lost a member, a piece of our puzzle is now missing. 
I remember meeting Paul in my second ever karate class, we trained side by side for the first couple of weeks and then on the evening of Westy's shodan grading Russell and I got sent next door with Paul for the whole class to  warm up and learn Fukyugata Ni it was like being in the army- Sensei had to tell us to be quiet!  He was strict but kind and funny. 
He taught us in the way only Paul could. He welcomed us into the dojo. 
We got to know each other better at all the coming classes and events and seminars, we got on well and discovered he was probably one of the most genuinely caring people I've ever met who would do anything for anybody. 
Justin and Paul did my 5th kyu grading, he was a harsh judge but it was what I needed then, it was a couple of months before I came to Okinawa for the first time and I needed to take things a bit more seriously- he gave me the kick I needed to do that. It worked. Okinawa went well and the day I came back Sensei gave me my 4th kyu. 
He was the one which taught me early on how to stall Sensei when we wanted a break - simply ask the most in depth historical or technical question that comes to mind- Sensei can't help but fall into a nice long lecture ;) 
Funnily, he would then tell me I need to shut up and train! 
We had our differences and arguments in the 4 years we had training together but I think that's because we were both so similar and so passionate about what we were doing together. Karate. 
He was one of the most supportive people when I told him I would be going to live in Okinawa for a while. He gave me the best 'pep talk' the night before I left - basically he told me to shut up, listen and learn as much as I can and to come back and share everything, to help everyone improve and discover the true essence of karate. I've been trying my best to do that. I'll keep doing that. I will come back and teach anything and everything I can soon. 
It's horrible to think that we will never get to train together again - especially now I've grown up, learnt to shut up, got my black belt and been taught the rest of the kata. 
I remember watching the black belts in the dojo doing the higher Kata and dropping off one by one, as the kata got more and more advanced - even when Paul didn't really remember them he would not drop out. I really liked that about him. 
One of my favourite memories was when he would come to karate late and the downstairs door was locked- he started throwing a variety of objects at the window to get our attention. There were a lot of heads sticking out the windows that night. 
After being in Okinawa I've come to learn how fundamentally important dojo families and loyalty is and Paul understood this without ever coming to Okinawa. Everytime I do Fukyugata Ni I'll think of you, you taught me a lot and I'll continue to learn. 
What can I say, no words describe it all and I don't think it will hit me 100% that you're actually gone until I come back to the dojo and not see you there. 
You were my senpai and my friend, you loved karate and your karate family- we loved you too, which is why there's such a big hole in our puzzle now, a hole that no one else will fit, and so we will remember you and all the good times we had and train hard, as you did and as you would want us to. We will miss you. 
Thank you for being a part in my journey Paul. 


1 comment:

  1. Very nice and made me cry. I miss you becka. �� from janey

    ReplyDelete