Thursday 27 August 2015

27th August 2015

Today I woke up all tired still because I had a bad nights sleep again what with creepy spider nightmares and it was really warm last night. 
Still, I was happy because I could just wake up and go to karate, off I went where it was just me and Sensei, I like that- quality time together and I get to learn at my level because it is just me. 
We did basics and we did a couple of the Pinan kata and then onto gojushiho and kusanku. 
Then Sensei made me do the bo, he has a new basics routine he wanted me to learn. It was great except my hand aches like anything now. My thumb is getting better but wow at how much it aches. 

Then Sensei invited me into his house, today is the second day of Obon, where the dead ancestors of the family are invited back to visit the family. It's a personal and spiritual custom here. It's a family thing, hence why I am so moved Sensei invited me into his home and to take part in this part of okinawan culture. 

They have a shrine at the top which has all the names of the family members who have passed away. Then there is drinks and food for each family member, incense and candles are lit and everyday for three days breakfast, lunch and dinner is offered. 
I don't think it's really religious, more spiritual. From what I gather it's a Buddhist belief. 
Either way, i think it's a nice way of remembering and respecting lost family members. 
Mrs A. Always feeds me, she knows what I like and don't like,  I love her and Sensei showed me his final plans for his trip. I'll miss him in the next few weeks while he is in Europe- just gonna have to train with James aren't I! I can feel the pain already.


I went to work, where James just keeps talking about the scotch eggs I made last week. I said I couldn't make him any because I didn't have the ingredients- 10 minutes later he comes back with it, hence we have scotch eggs- or rather he has 10 to eat, and now this means training next week will be extra hard!! 

I need some coffee, it's 2 am and I'm still at work! Tired.com let's hope the spiders go away tonight. 






No comments:

Post a Comment