Saturday 23 January 2016

Blueberry cake, Goya chips and Sensei

Tonight Maeshiro Sensei came to the bar. He is 84 years old and is probably the fittest 84 year old I've met in my life. 
He is the nicest man. He trained with Chibana  Sensei, whenever I've met a Sensei recently I've asked them to tell me about their Sensei. 
I've noticed all of their eyes light up- you can see that they all absolutely loved their Sensei and had the upmost respect and admiration for them. 
It's been the question that they all think about for a second and then you can see that they so fondly remember their Sensei, they all sound like incredible role models and I think they would be proud of their students. 
Maeshiro Sensei said that Chibana Sensei was strict when they were training and a true gentleman the rest of the time. 
He was a teacher in Okinawa- which I'm discovering a lot of the old Sensei were. 
It seems to be a natural part of their lives to love teaching and helping people with anything. 
This is a 84 year old that loves to cook and used to own a restaurant/ izakaya.  He is still lightening fast and incredibly powerful (demonstrated by hitting the bar, kote kite style- HARD!) and he has the most amazing memories and stories to tell about Okinawa and Japan. 
We gave him cake and Goya chips- he said my Goya chips reminded him of traditional okinawan food- such a compliment! Then again he also said there is not a single food he doesn't like. 
I could spend hours listening and learning about life from this Sensei. Like a wise old grandad- that is just incredibly fit, healthy and strong. 



No comments:

Post a Comment