Monday 18 January 2016

Intensive Karate Seminar - day 1

Today was a really cool day! 
Difficult early start but it turned out to be so worth it. 
I did shorinji Ryu for the first time today. 
It's similar to what we do, but there are clear differences between the styles. I learnt a lot. 
We trained for 4 hours today and went right through basics, kata, a more formal bunkai and some free bunkai as well as kote kite. Really cool first day training. I'm still finding it difficult to keep up with some of the Japanese - so there's a LOT of learning by copying and trying to fill in the gaps. It's a new way of learning, that's for sure. 
I'm excited for the rest of the week. 
We can't train at the seminar tomorrow because we have training at the Arakaki dojo but it will be a good week I think! 
We are training with Oyakawa Sensei. He is a really nice guy. Very very strong! 
We learned Ananku and Wanshu Shorinji  Ryu style - SO hard to not keep going into Matsubayashi! 

Then I went home to catch up on a bit of sleep- really didn't get much the past few days and I was turning into a real grumpy zombie. I don't do lack of sleep well at all. 
The rest of the week shouldn't be quite so busy and I should be able to focus on learning all I can from this seminar. Some of the bunkai we did was really really cool too! 
Now we've discovered we are on Japanese news! 

RBC- 





No comments:

Post a Comment