Tuesday 15 December 2015

Wakayama- day 2

I woke up around 8.40 today, feeling very sick from the night of shochu (Japanese sake) and 'slats'. I've never drunk shochu before and didn't realise the hangover was so bad. Awamori doesn't do that! 
So, then we get picked up and go to see a beautiful shrine before karate training. 
I have lots of pictures of this place, it was bigger than the shrines in Okinawa, and was very beautiful. 
There were a few smaller shrines off the bigger one which was very cool. 
And there was a brilliant carving of this guy. He was a famous samurai. It looks like he could be doing a move from a karate kata, even though he is doing Kobudo. It's all connected and very cool. 
After this we go to karate. The students were grading for grades from 4th kyu to 2nd kyu. Morimoto- San got his 2nd kyu. His karate is really good. All their karate was really really good. For the time they've been practicing and their situations they are great. 
So far this is the only picture I have. I'll add more. 
Then we had the absolute privilege of a personal eisa show from these guys. They are really amazing at eisa. They let me wear the costume and try and join them. I'm in the middle in the sky blue. 
It was a incredible experience, and most definitely something I won't forget. 
Eisa is something I've wanted to do ever since my first trip to Okinawa and so this was a highlight for me. 
Then it was time for dinner, we had a nabe which is a traditional mainland Japanese way of cooking, you have a little stove at the table and a pot you simmer all the food in stock to cook it. It was really great. Lots of fish and pork- and pizza! something for everyone. These guys really did everything so well for us. 
 This was the nabe food, pork and vegetables. It was good. 
Then we went back to the hotel just in time for a quick dip in the onsen before bed. Perfect way to warm up. 
What a brilliant day. A sharing and showing of very good karate, eisa that was perfect and a new 'family' dinner. These guys have taken the Okinawa spirit to the mainland and are truly using 'icheriba chode'- once we meet, we are family. 
I don't think anyone will ever truly understand how much karate has turned my life around. 
松林流 空手道

No comments:

Post a Comment