Tuesday 25 November 2014

Day 30

Today was amazing! I went to karate this morning which was awesome as always!! 
Then I went to the pottery village where I got to make my own Shisa!! 
Here he is as a work in progress! 
Here he is finished- 
I then had to inscribe him with my name- I can write my name in katakana now! 
Shisa are a traditional ryukyuan decoration often in pairs resembling a cross between a lion and a dog. People place a pair of Shisa on thier rooftops or around the gates to thier houses- they are wards believed to protect from evil - the left Shisa traditionally has a closed mouth while the right has a open mouth. The open mouth wards off evil spirits and the closed mouth keeps good spirits in. 
I have made my closed mouth Shisa and I now have to wait 1-2 months for it to dry out before he will be ready for me to pick up! 
It was a thing crossed off the bucket list- I made my very own clay Shisa- on okinawa with traditional Okinawan methods and Okinawan clay. It will be a treasure I will love forever when I pick it up!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment